Custom Search

Monday, July 28, 2008

Stanley Kubrick's Boxes

Genius never fails to captivate. This is true for the films of Stanley Kubrick. I remember watching 2001 on PBS when I was eight or nine. It started late, probably like 11. My mother came downstairs about when the prologue finished and said it was time for bed. I asked if I could stay up. I told her I needed to finish this. My mom knew how strangely obsessive I was about things, so she neither approved or disapproved. She just went upstairs.

2001 goes beyond film for me. Like many of Mr. Kubrick's creations, it almost seemed to inhabit its own media, separate and distinct from anything I had ever seen. It was a genre film, but intensely not so all at the same time. It contained amazing special effects, but was also lyrical and boundless. In short, the film contained many of the paradoxes that make viewing Kubrick's films a pleasure.

Here is a documentary about the boxes of research Kubrick left after his demise. If you are a fan, you need to watch this. If you admire genius, you need to watch this.

No comments: