Custom Search

Friday, July 4, 2008

Christopher Hitchens Visits Room 101

Overweight, out-of-shape, alchoholic Christopher Hitchens chose to be waterboarded on video for Vanity Fair. Hitchens has been a defender of torture for terrorism suspects, and his primary assumption is that the intelligence agencies do everything not to kill their detainees. Therefore, how tortuous can it be?

Watch the video. That's torture, baby. Hitchens 'fesses to this here:

Also, in case it’s of interest, I have since woken up trying to push the
bedcovers off my face, and if I do anything that makes me short of breath I find
myself clawing at the air with a horrible sensation of smothering and
claustrophobia. No doubt this will pass. As if detecting my misery and shame,
one of my interrogators comfortingly said, “Any time is a long time when you’re
breathing water.” I could have hugged him for saying so, and just then I was hit
with a ghastly sense of the sadomasochistic dimension that underlies the
relationship between the torturer and the tortured. I apply the Abraham Lincoln
test for moral casuistry: “If slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong.” Well,
then, if waterboarding does not constitute torture, then there is no such thing
as torture.

Hitchens will next be dressing up in drag and performing at comedy clubs to prove his theory that women aren't funny.

No comments: