Custom Search

Monday, June 16, 2008

Review of the Week

Kara and I saw Iron Man a few weeks ago (awesome!), and were treated to the trailer for M. Night Shyamalan's (I know I shouldn't, but I always want to address him like Sterno used to-Shamalamadingdong) new film, The Happening. Wow. The trailer was so intentionally awful I felt for art's sake I should leave even before I saw Tony Stark.

Obviously, the trailer wasn't a lie. The New Republic review spoils the whole film on purpose and skewers it hilariously. I would pull a few of the better quotes, but I don't want to spoil it for the five or six readers of mine who might actually want to see this mess.

What happened to M. Night? I am huge fan of Unbreakable, which by the way is begging for a big budget sequel, and Signs. And of course, The Sixth Sense deserved all the accolades and cash it earned. But this guy's last few films have not interested me at all. Enough with the ethereal threats already! This guy needs to make Godzilla or something, so at least we can see the evil above his name in the title.

M. Night. Get Sam and Bruce together, they bowl every Thursday. Agree to do Unbreakable II: Security. Get your career back on track, brother. You're very talented and likeable.

No comments: