Custom Search

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Memories of Comiskey Park

I don't know how many of you had the pleasure of watching a game at 'America's Baseball Palace' Comiskey Park, but it was the home of some of my most vivid childhood memories. This slideshow give you a great idea of what it was like.

For a kid, Comiskey was the biggest playground you can find. The concrete concourses seemed to go forever, and unlike today's ballparks, they were mostly empty. People actually watched the game back then. You could take a set of winding metal ramps to the exploding scoreboard and get a mind-blowing panoramic view of the whole ballpark. I was up there once and I looked down to see Nolan Ryan staring up at me. "How'd you get up there?" The roof top of both outfield decks was in play, and I saw the one and only Harold Baines put one over the left field wall in '86.

The Chicago White Sox were not very good in those years, but it goes to show that with baseball wins and losses don't really matter. It's the memories of all those lazy summer afternoons and evenings basking in the warm glow of men playing out a boy's dream.

No comments: